Bringing the Best Together
High-profile building projects require teamwork among San Diego’s best – both the elite among contractors and the labor force they hire.
Signatory contractors who partner with Ironworkers Local 229 know firsthand the merits of such an alliance, including the assurance of hiring a quality, safety-trained, drug-free, dependable workforce whose benefits are administered by the union and who are highly skilled in their crafts.
Additionally, Local 229 works with contractors on a project-by-project basis – no long-term commitment or contracts required. However, after partnering on a project or two with Local 229, contractors definitely see the benefit in the finished product!
Check out our latest project featured in the Ironworker magazine: Ironworkers help build iconic library dome
Local 229 provides the best-trained craftspeople in structural, reinforcing and ornamental ironwork, as well as rigging, metal buildings and machinery moving:
- Structural Ironworker: Assembles, erects and installs fabricated iron parts to form the skeleton of industrial, commercial and large-residential buildings.
- Reinforcing Ironworker: Fabricates and places steel bars in concrete forms to reinforce structures, such as freeways, bridges, drainage channels and commercial structures.
- Ornamental Ironworker: Installs metal stairways, catwalks, gratings, iron ladders, doors, gates, fences, platforms, railings and other “finishes” in the construction of large-commercial, industrial and residential buildings.
- Rigger and Machinery Mover: Loads, unloads and moves machinery equipment in the construction and maintenance of industrial plants and precast concrete structures.
Local 229 began participating in the Ironworkers’ National Substance Abuse Testing Program in the fall of 2007. Mobile Medical Corporation (MMC), located in Sacramento, is our Third-Party Administrator that coordinates members’ substance-abuse testing, assists with rehabilitation, maintains all records and provides contractors with an online-verification system to view members’ eligibility 24/7.
MMC works with both members and contractors to reach annual program goals, and guarantees that Local 229 members are drug tested annually, as well as randomly. Signatory contractors and owners can request random testing on their projects for up to 100 percent of ironworkers on the jobsite, with the program covering all costs. The Ironworkers’ Substance Abuse Testing Program contains all elements of a top-notch program. It has been accepted nationwide and has reciprocity with several labor-management cooperative programs. For more information, contact MMC @ 866-914-3921 or visit its Web site at www.mobmed.com.
Significant past projects that Local 229 Ironworkers helped build include:
- Expansion of the San Diego Convention Center – in process
- Hilton San Diego Bayfront hotel – completed in 2008
- PETCO Park, home of Major League Baseball’s San Diego Padres – completed in 2004
Ironworkers Local 229 maintains a handy list of links and resources useful to contractors.